Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How the Challenge Began

First, a little intro.  I love to read blogs about saving money and cooking.  I've debated for a while about starting my own blog but was scared.  Yep, scared.  At first I didn't know what I would write about.  I like reading blogs about saving money and cooking but don't feel like I'm an expert in any specific area or that I have anything original to share.  Then a few weeks ago as my husband and I were looking over our budget we decided to challenge ourselves.  We have always been good at grocery shopping, couponing and getting great deals on our groceries.  We took a hard look at our current budget and decided to try for $40 a week. 

As a family of 3 (myself, my husband and our 3 year old) we felt $40 was doable (is that a real word?).  I took inventory of our pantry and freezers and determined that we had a reasonable amount of meat, frozen veggies, rice, and pasta on hand to help us transition into our new budget.  Don't get me wrong, I know that it is not realistic to think that we could only spend $40 a week for a year.  I was on a quest to see how long I could stick to this budget and how much we could reduce our annual food budget to.  So I am now a few weeks into this project and it finally hit me: THIS is what I should blog about.    So here I am. 

To sum it up, I spend $40 a week on groceries.  Did I mention that I only use cash?  Cash only is my rule.  Why?  If I use a debit or credit card I would be tempted to go over our budgeted weekly amount.  If I have cash then I can't go over.  My rule has been that if I say under $40, the remaining amount stays in our fund to be used toward another week.  Sometimes, I even skip a week!  That comes in handy when there is a big sale or we need to stock up.  Like I mentioned before $40 a week isn't going to be feasible every week because when our stockpile gets low and there's an awesome sale (as in BOGO, super double or triple coupons) then I stock up.  Overall I have found that ven those stockpiling trips tend to even things out.
 

2 comments:

  1. Forty dollars a week is great Amanda! We're trying emphasis on trying to spend $300 a month on groceries and household goods like shampoo etc. We'll see we how we do. I can't wait to get a chance to read through your blog and see how you did! Your recipes look great too! Wonderful job on your blog, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! It's not always possible to spend just $40 a week but we try to keep it as close as possible. And I was one of the people that found you through the Bisquick Banana cake link. I love seeing the recipes you posted.

    ReplyDelete