Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 11: Pound Cake

Pound cake......my belly is happy just thinking about it.  I have to say that this is one of my all time favorites.  For me, the best part is the crunchy crust that forms on the top when it's baking.  I will stand there and pick it off and eat it all if allowed.  Today is Thanksgiving and we are going to my uncles for lunch.  I was asked to bring something for little man and I but after being told what is already going to be there I decided that everything was already covered and I should just bring another dessert.  I started thinking about what would be good and what was not already being taken.  Then it hit me, pound cake!  I haven't made one in at least a year.  I avoided them because little man couldn't have them because of how many eggs were in them.  With his egg allergy we could substitute other baking items for eggs but with a pound cake there are too many eggs to use substitutions because it would mess up the cake.  Now that little man is no longer allergic to eggs I can finally make a pound cake and let him have some! 

This recipe came from  a 1987 church cookbook that I borrowed from my mom for a different recipe and then found this pound cake recipe.

Pound Cake

3 c. plain flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 c. milk

Cream together sugar, butter and shortening.  Add baking powder to flour and sift 3 times.  Gradually add flour to creamed ingredients.  Add eggs and milk as needed to mix.  Add vanilla.  Put in cold oven for 1 1/2 hours at 350.

So I didn't follow those instructions to a tee.  I creamed together the butter, sugar and shortening.  I then added 3 eggs, mixed it up and added 3 more.  Once that was well blended I added the flour and baking powder (and no I did not sift it once let alone 3 times).  Then I added the milk.  Once it was mixed up it was a very thick batter.  I used a bunt pan that I rubbed oil in and then floured.  My pound cake only cooked about 1 hour and 15 minutes and it was done. 



No comments:

Post a Comment