Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 13: Lemon Meringue Pie

I love lemon meringue pie, minus the meringue.  I know, it's weird.  I should just eat lemon pie right.  But this was actually a request made by my husband.  I told him I would make it and found a recipe.  I'm going to try the same pie crust as before but this time I have my wax paper.  I didn't have it last time and apparently that's a pretty important part of making the dough come out right.

I found this recipe in a newspaper and clipped it so I have no date or newspaper name.

Lemon Meringue Pie

1/2 package pie crust mix of 1 (9 inch) refrigerator pie crust
1 1/3 c. sugar (for filling)
1/2 c. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. water
4 eggs, separated 
2 tbs. butter or margarine
1 tbs. grated lemon rind
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. sugar (for meringue) 

1)I made a pie crust from scratch.  I cooked it at 450 degrees per the recipe for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.



2)Combine sugar (for filling), cornstarch, and salt in a medium sized saucepan; gradually stir in water.

3) Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.  Boil 1 minute and then remove from heat.

4) Beat egg yolks slightly in a bowl.  Slowly blend in 1/2 cup of the hot cornstarch mixture and then slowly pour back into remaining mixture in saucepan.  Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for two minutes and remove from heat. (Remember to do this gradually otherwise you will end up with scrambled eggs)

5)Stir in butter or margarine, lemon rind and lemon juice. (I could only find really big bags of lemons, which I couldn't see myself using.  Instead I skipped the lemon rind and used bottled 100% lemon juice.  Gasp!  I know, bad me.)

6) Pour into cooled pie crust.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. (This part really irritated me because the plastic wrap kept touching the lemon filling.  I finally gave up trying to get it to not touch after about the 4th attempt)



7) Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and doubled in volume; gradually add remaining 1/2 c. sugar.  Beat until all the sugar dissolves and meringue stands firm. (This took way longer than I thought.  I beat them for at least 10 minutes, took a 5 minute break and went back.  I even added a tiny bit more cream of tartar)

8) Using a pastry bag or spoon form meringue into 10-12 large puffs on a greased and floured parchment lined baking sheet. (I didn't have parchment paper so I used aluminum foil.  I sprayed cooking spray on it and then sprinkled with flour.  I made sure the flour was spread evenly.  I used two spoons to make little mounds)

9)Bake at 425 degrees for 3-5 minutes until peaks turn golden.  Cool on baking sheet.  When puffs are cool carefully place them on the cold pie. (Stay close and watch them.  Mine took right at 3-3.5 minutes to turn golden and the oven wasn't even preheated completely) 



Overall it was not a super difficult pie to make.  There are several parts like the crust, filling and then the meringue topping.  I did the meringue before the pie was fully cooled but I was ready for it to all be finished.  I think with this being the first time that I've made a lemon meringue pie it was fairly simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment