Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 7: Molasses Cookies

I have actually never made these cookies.  My husband requested that I make them when we sat down to make a list of items that I should make for the holiday challenge.  His mom made these when he was a kid and they are one of his favorites.  I got the recipe from the cookbook that my mother in law made for my husband and his brothers about 10 years ago so I'm not sure where the recipe came from originally or if it's one that she has been working on and tweaked over the years.

Molasses Cookies

2 c. flour
1 c. white sugar
3/4 c. Crisco, melted
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Melt Crisco. ( I melted mine in the microwave)
2. Mix in the eggs, molasses and sugar.
3. Add remaining dry ingredients. ( I mixed all the dry ingredients together and then added the Crisco/molasses mixture.)
4. Chill for several hours.
5. Roll into 1 inch balls, then roll in white sugar. (Make sure you coat the whole cookie and do not flatten the balls)
6. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

** These freeze really well according to the recipe and my husband.

Since the hubby loves these so much I doubled the recipe.  What I didn't count on was everything that went wrong.  I didn't measure the dough balls before putting them in the oven.  Here's the first batch of VERY large dough balls about to go into the oven.



Second thing to go wrong...the cookies never flattened but stayed very puffy and rounded.



After sending the hubby pictures and hearing that they were supposed to be flat and smaller I changed out the tablespoon measuring spoon I was using to scoop them up for the teaspoon measuring spoon.  After rolling a couple out I measured them with a ruler and they measured in at the 1 inch that the recipe described. 


But after coming out of the oven they were still not flat.  At this point I pulled out another cookbook thinking that maybe the recipe in the one I used was wrong since it has happened before.  As I'm reading the other cookbook I see that it says baking soda.  I rush back to the one I used and read baking soda.  Then the light bulb went off.  I used baking powder instead of baking soda.  ARG!!  When I was mixing everything up little man was helping and I was talking to the hubby and basically flitting around the kitchen grabbing ingredients and then checking the recipe and grabbing a few more and somewhere in there I misread and put the wrong ingredient in.  The good news is that it didn't affect the taste, only the consistency.    So once I realized that I decided to make the cookies like the recipe said except I used the bottom of a glass to flatten them before baking and I decreased the baking time to 8 minutes.  After those changes were made this is how the cookies came out.


So, lesson of the day:  Read the ingredient list carefully when making a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment