Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 19: Peanut Butter Pinwheels (or in our case, soybutter pinwheels)

Today is another recipe requested by my husband.  I've never made these and have actually never heard of them.  The recipe came from the cookbook that his mom made.  I had never heard of a candy with mashed potato's but according to the hubby they are good.

Peanut Butter Pinwheels

1/2 c. cold mashed potato's (instant are ok)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
1 c. peanut butter

Mix together salt, potato and sugar until easily handled.  Add vanilla and roll onto surface covered with powdered sugar.  Roll out into a rectangle.


Spread with peanut butter.



Roll into one long log.  This will get very sticky.  Keep covering moist areas with powdered sugar.  Once rolled place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.



Chill for several hours.  Cut into slices.  It helps to dip the knife in powdered sugar to keep it dry.  Store in the fridge with wax paper between layers.

Due to little mans peanut allergy I used soy butter again.  When mixing the ingredients into the dough it took a minute for it to begin forming together.  It definitely stayed sticky.  I used a lot of powdered sugar on the counter and my hands.  I tried using a spatula and found that my hands worked better to flatten it out.  I'm not going to lie, it was really difficult to roll up.  I got it in the fridge and am very anxious to cut it and taste but and trying to abide by the recipe and let it set.  Final photos added.

2 comments:

  1. I'm eager to find out how these taste...I'm with you...the mashed potatoes kind of threw me off a bit ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caved and tasted a piece. The powdered sugar and potato's ended up tasting like the cream filling in those little caramel candies. They are good though.

    ReplyDelete