Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 24: Molded Candies

A few weeks ago while browsing Ollie's I came across this candy making kit.


I've never made anything like this before and have always wanted to.  The price was right so I bought it.  I tucked it away in the cabinet and made sure the add it to my holiday challenge rotation.  The directions were really simple.  Empty each set of candy pieces into a bag, microwave and then pipe into the mold.  (The kit included all of the items needed as well as gift bags and ties so you can give them as gifts.)  I thought they would be cute additions to the goodie baskets I send family. 

After making the first batch

we realized that we needed to make sure to smooth out the candy.  I assumed that it would just kind of fill into the mold but here is what happens when the candy begins to reharden and you don't smooth it.


After seeing that the second batch came out much better.


With this brown and green snowflake being our prettiest.


Again, the third batch came out similar to the second.


With this tri-color snowflake being our prettiest of the batch.  We also really liked the tri-color tree up above.


The kit ended up making about 36 candies.  I really like that we have the mold to keep using and will just need to replinish the candies.  I've been racking my brain to think of other treats that we could use the mold for but haven't had any luck yet.

1 comment: