Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 27: Sausage Balls

Sausage balls are one of the hubby's favorites.  He loves them.  I'm actually making a double batch because I'm taking some to a family Christmas dinner tomorrow and I wanted the hubby to still have plenty to nibble on.  I'm using this recipe from the Betty Crocker website.  I know that the recipe says to cook for 25-30 minutes but I highly suggest checking them after about 15 minutes so that you can gauge the time frame needed for your oven.  Mine were cooked in 14 -15 minutes.  Had I assumed that it would take the full amount of time they would have been burnt.

I doubled the recipe, that explains why I purchased cheddar cheese, sausage and Bisquick at Sam's earlier this week.  I've found over the years that when making things like this or cookies in large batches you have to have a system.  Here is what works for me.

I lined two cookie sheets(with sides) with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray.  I rolled sausage balls and filled one cookie sheet, I left about 2 inches between sausage balls.  I put this batch in the oven and set the timer.  While that batch was cooking I began rolling and placing sausage balls onto the other cookie sheet.  As soon as the sausage balls were done I removed the pan from the oven, put the other pan in and set the time.  I then removed the cooked sausage balls and placed them in storage containers.  As soon as the cooked sausage balls were put away I took the cookie sheet back to the counter and began rolling and placing more sausage balls on it.  This system works really well for me.  By the time one batch was finished cooking I had another batch ready to go in the oven and enough time to prepare the next tray.  It really cuts down on the time spent cooking because each batch can go in back to back.  When your making 15 dozen sausage balls cutting down on the time spent in the kitchen is a big plus.


I ended up with enough to fill a very large Tupperware container (for tomorrow), a holiday tin (went with the hubby to work today), about 2 dozen in the freezer and about 2 dozen in a Tupperware container for the hubby to snack on over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment