Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 30: Sugar Cookie Cutouts

I know that I missed yesterday.  I was out with family all day and got home late and was way too exhausted to even attempt cooking.  Now I know why, I'm sick.  Ugh....  But on to today.  Now that it's finally closer to Christmas we made Christmas cookies, or sugar cookies.  Growing up I always thought of this type of cookie as a Christmas cookie so that's what I call them.  I got this recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.

Sugar Cookie Cutouts

1/2 c. butter softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour

Beat butter for approximately 30 seconds.  Add granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.  Beat until combined.  Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined.  Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer.  Stir in any remaining flour.  Cover and chill 30 minutes or until easy to handle.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough until it's approximately 1/8 of an inch.  Use cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes.  Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm.  Transfer to a rack and let cool.

You can add icing but I just didn't have it in me to make icing.  We let little man decorate the cookies with sprinkles before putting them in the oven.  Lets just say that the sprinkles are not evenly distributed.



As you can tell, little man got a little sprinkle happy.  We had to have cookies for Santa!  It was beginning to upset little man that we had not made cookies yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment