Sunday, January 2, 2011

Back to Reality

The past two months have been so busy, or at least it's felt that way to me.  I felt a huge relief when I finished the holiday challenge.  Then with Christmas, our snow storm and going out of town for New Year's it's been very hectic.  It was a huge relief to come home but being home means coming back to the real world and getting back on top of our finances, grocery shopping, and so on.  Not to mention the toy regurgitation that is my living room at the moment.  A little boy I know has too many toys.  Some of which will begin to disappear over the next few days.  I plan to make a little list this week of the items that little man plays with and then remove all age inappropriate and unused toys.  That itself is a task, and may not be completed but it will be so nice to at least thin out the toys.  So tomorrow it's time to get back to the norm; laundry, cleaning, thinning out toys, and finally making our menu for January( I wanted to do this during the drive of our New Years trip however the hubby has severe car sickness and even though he was driving it would have made him sick to watch me write.  Soooo......it waits to be completed)  Once everything is back in order I can finally get back to organizing the pantry and freezers. 

I think that I was one of the few people that didn't make actual New Years resolutions.  I've done it in the past and never stuck with it.  So I'm not making resolutions this year but want to work toward creating a couple of new habits. 

1) Work more fruits and vegetables into our meals.  We do not eat the way that we should.  I can honestly say that there have been days that when thinking back I realize I have not eaten a single fruit or vegetable.  I do NOT want to pass this on to little man.  Right now he loves fruit and asks for it.  I don't want to ruin that by him picking up on our bad eating habits.  I would love for us to actually eat the way we are supposed to and get all of our daily servings of fruits and vegetables.  Right now that's a lot to ask.  So I'm shooting for making sure that we get one fruit and one vegetable each day or at least two servings overall whether it be two fruits or two vegetables.  This is temporary because once we have that habit down we can add on.

2)  I am so excited to be starting the new year after having worked on the $40 grocery challenge.  I want to continue this for the full year.  Like when I started the blog I know that this won't be completely feasible each and every week of the year but I'm hoping that I will be able to "shop" my pantry/freezers and then buy fresh items as needed and of course stock up when there are good sales.  I am very interested to see how much our annual grocery budget is this year. 

That's pretty much it.  It doesn't seem like a lot but I will never stick to it if I give myself 20 new habits to work on.  Plus I will be building on he habits as I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment