Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blueberry Pumpkin Muffins

Yesterday I wanted to use the remainder of the can of pumpkin puree that I opened when I made pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes to make Blueberry Pumpkin Muffins.  I didn't have a recipe and looked through my Betty Crocker cook book.  There is a Blueberry Banana Bread recipe in there that we really like and I thought that if I could somehow make a version of that but with pumpkin instead of banana it would be a hit.  Then I started to compare that recipe with a pumpkin bread recipe.  Finally, I decided to just wing it and make my own recipe.  I thought that if I was going to come up with my own recipe then I wanted to make the muffins healthy too.  I went for wheat flour, used less than 1 cup of sugar, did not add any oil or butter/margarine but used applesauce and used the remainder of the pumpkin puree(about 1 cup) and 1 cup of blueberries.  There were a few other ingredients like baking soda, vanilla, salt, and buttermilk but I want to tweak things a little more before posting the actual recipe.  I was a little worried that the muffins would be just horrible.  However, they came out of the oven looking just like a muffin should.  They taste good too.  The texture is slightly different since I used wheat flour instead of all purpose but we like them.  I'm contemplating changing quantities around a bit to make them more moist.  I think that the wheat flour and the texture it leaves gives the illusion that they are dry when they aren't but maybe a little extra moisture will do away with that. 


2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I have never baked with wheat flour before, but I need to try it sometime. I have heard that wheat pastry flour can help with texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a good idea. I will have to look into that. I wonder where I could find it?

    ReplyDelete