Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Convenience and Nutrition

It occurred to me that in my quest to build healthier eating habits convenience will end up playing a pretty big role.  I am working on eating more fruits and vegetables as part of building better habits and have been trying to have more salads and snack on fruit/veggies.  Part of the problem I've had in the past is that I have great intentions when it comes to eating fruits and veggies going so far as to buy them and then they sit and never get eaten and eventually get thrown out.  So as I told myself that I would build healthy habits this year I have been thinking about where I usually go wrong.  Part of it is that I just really like the way junk food tastes.  I would rather have cookies or chips over a banana or carrots.  Sorry, but it's the truth.  However, when I do eat fruits and vegetables I always find myself thinking how good it tastes.  Ironic, huh?

Yesterday when we made our trip to Wal Mart I picked up more salad items.  We already have some romaine lettuce on hand.  Instead of leaving it in the packaging and pulling off a leaf here and there I washed and chopped/tore it into pieces right after we bought it.  It was then stored in a Ziploc plastic container in the fridge.  Perfect!  It's ready to go and what do you know, we've been eating it.  We have made several salads and have it ready to put into a sandwich or wrap.  Yesterday afternoon I decided to chop up the carrots, cucumber and tomato that I purchased.  This past weekend my mother was cleaning out her cabinets and came across some glass dishes that were my grandmother's.  There are two with lids (also glass) and they have pictures of vegetables on them.  They aren't anything fancy but they work perfectly to hold pre-sliced fruits and vegetables.  The bonus is that since they are glass I can see what is in them and how much is left making it easier to make grocery lists and seeing the good veggies makes me want to eat them and not forget that they are there.



All of this made me think about the pre-cut fruits and veggies that are sold at the grocery store.  Usually at a much higher price than the same fruit or vegetable with the only difference being that you don't have to do any prep work.  Is it really worth it?  We generally don't buy those items because they are so expensive but to be totally honest we have purchased them in the past.  So, why not do it yourself?  I kept wondering why I haven't done this sooner/more often yesterday as I prepped the items.  It only took about 10 minutes.  That of course made me wonder what else I could be prepping to ensure that I am building my healthy eating habits.  I have to say that dinner is probably my strongest meal nutritionally.  I menu plan and when making the menu's I try to make sure that each meal has a little of everything.  So now I'm working toward making sure that my lunches are nutritious.  In preparation I have hard boiled 4 eggs and am thawing 3 chicken breasts to be seasoned and grilled.  The eggs will be used for either sandwich's or to top salads and the chicken will be used for dinner tonight (Mandarin Chicken Salad) and the rest will be sliced to top salads or go in wraps for lunch for the following week.

2 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head! It is soooooo true! I learned this a couple of years ago when I was throwing a birthday party for one of our children and realized the cost of the fruit/veggie platter was more than the fruits, veggies and a brand new plastic serving tray. I've also found that if it is visible, we will eat it. And you know what? Sometimes I just have to NOT buy ANY junk food because I, too, love a good piece of junk food. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kassandra- it's amazing how just being able to see the fruits and vegetables makes a difference. I'm definitely going to keep this up so that we all eat better.

    ReplyDelete