Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Recipes

I mentioned earlier this week that I planned to try out a couple of different recipes.  One was to use some sad, sad looking bananas that were left in the car while traveling and became...well frozen.  I found a recipe in my 3 in 1 Cookies, Bars and Muffins cookbook for Cocoa Bottom Banana Pecan Bars.  It calls for 5 ripe bananas which is the exact amount I had. It was perfect.  I omitted the pecans because with little man's peanut allergy we have to be extremely careful when using nuts in a recipe.  You wouldn't think it but so many of the store bought nuts are all processed on the same equipment which means that pieces of peanut could be in it and with little man having a severe peanut allergy we don't take chances.  So, since we had no usable pecans on hand I omitted them.

Cocoa Bottom Banana Pecan Bars

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened (I used margarine)
5 ripe banana's mashed
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

Combine sugar and butter in bowl.  Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.  Add bananas, egg and vanilla; beat until well blended.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. (OK I confess, I never do this because I just find it to be an extra step and it makes for another dirty dish.)  Add to banana mixture; beat until well blended.  Stir in pecans.

Divide batter in half.  Stir cocoa into one half.  Spread cocoa batter in prepared pan.  Spread plain batter over cocoa batter and swirl with knife.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Cool completely and cut into squares.

**Ok so I also had an avocado that was to mushy for my liking so I added it as well.  I think that next time I will try it with wheat flour.  It's VERY moist.  Possibly because I added the avocado or because the bananas were so ripe. 



The new dinner recipe that I tried out was from the Betty Crocker website.  I have been using their recipe for cheeseburger pie for years and we really like it.  I decided to make Impossibly Easy Chicken and Broccoli Pie.  It was just as simple and the other pie that we like and tasted great.  The 1 cup of chicken works out to about 1 chicken breast and I used a combination of American and Cheddar cheeses.  We will definitely keep this in the menu rotation.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when you find a recipe that everyone in your family loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness! Those look delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete