Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Small Changes

I mentioned when I posted our menu that I felt like we were eating the same things over and over.  Last night as I was preparing to make dinner I decided to change things up a bit.  I was reaching for the Bisquick, which is what I usually use to make pancakes and waffles, when I decided to save the Bisquick for other recipes I have planned and make our waffles from scratch.  I pulled out my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook and made the waffle recipe listed.  It gave the option to use either 2 cups of all purpose or wheat flour.  I used one of each and for something a little extra added an over ripe banana to the batter. ( I mashed the banana up very well before mixing it in.)

Then I decided to use some of the blueberries that we picked last summer that were in the freezer to make a blueberry type syrup/sauce.  I added blueberries and a little sugar and water to a saucepan and let it start bubbling.  Once it was going I mashed the blueberries.  Then I added some of our regular syrup to the pot.  I let it all get warm and well combined. 

So we ended up with healthier, part wheat waffles, with a little banana covered in a yummy blueberry sauce.  It was still waffles but I changed them up a bit and it made a huge difference.  I guess even small changes in the menu items can make a big difference.  Out of curiosity I checked here and there are so many waffle recipes that we could have waffles every week and not have any repeats for a couple of months.  So I think I will be trying out some new waffle recipes.  I think that the chocolate waffles will be next. 

3 comments:

  1. I get tired of the same menu as well. Way to be creative and come up with a new waffle recipe. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I was pleasantly surprised and little man gobbled up the waffles. He tried and liked the sauce but didn't want it on his waffles. Three year olds....lol

    ReplyDelete