Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gardening

In the 6.5 years that the hubby and I have been married we have never planted a garden.  He did buy me a kit to plant herbs and they started to grow and were beautiful and then just as quickly as they sprouted and grew they shriveled and died.  We've been in our home for over 3 years and it's time that we plant a vegetable garden.  In the past time has been an issue.  This year we have talked about what we would like to plant and where we would plant it.  We decided to try growing cucumbers, zucchini, tomato's, watermelon, spinach and strawberries.  We wanted to try potato's as well but are pretty sure that it's already too warm to plant them now. 

Earlier this week the hubby treated the ground to kill weeks. (We used an organic product, we are trying to keep chemicals out of the garden if at all possible.)  Hopefully the hubby will be able to get out with the tiller so that we can get the ground dug up and remove any weeds and get these seeds in the ground.  I am also going to plant some herbs in small pots and planters.  I really hope that this works out because we would love to have some of our own fruit and vegetables this year.

If we are not able to yield any strawberries this year there is a strawberry farm that we can go to and pick our own or purchase buckets already picked.  I will be able to get some blueberries from my parents neighbor.  We usually pick there every year and get several bags of blueberries that I then freeze and use throughout the year.  I think that this year I may try to pick more often to have plenty to get through until next year without running out.  Here are some picks from last year's blueberry picking.




Keep your fingers crossed for us!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Amanda! I can't wait to hear how it comes along.

    ReplyDelete