Monday, April 4, 2011

Pumpkin Rolls

Until I got the cookbook The Bread Machine Cookbook VI, I had never heard of pumpkin rolls.  So what is a pumpkin roll?  It's a cinnamon roll but the filling has pumpkin puree, brown sugar, raisins/cranberries, and nuts.  I'm not a huge fan of raisins in food, I seriously have to be in the mood and craving it and with little man's peanut allergy being so severe it's hard to find nuts that have not been contaminated.  So our filling consisted of just the pumpkin and brown sugar.

Here's the recipe.

Dough

1 c. milk
1 tbs. butter or margarine
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/1-1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. oats
2 1/2 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

Filling

1 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. raisins/cranberries/ cherries
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Glaze

1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1-2 tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla


I put everything in the bread machine in the order listed and let it run on the dough cycle.  After it was complete I rolled the dough into a rectangle and spread the pumpkin and brown sugar mixture on the dough.


Then I rolled it jelly roll style and began cutting the rolls.  It's supposed to make 12, I got 16.....I probably did something wrong.  I generously sprayed a muffin tin and placed one pumpkin roll into each of the muffin cups.



**Warning- this is a little messy.

After that I popped the whole thing into refrigerator until this morning.  I pulled out the tin and placed it on the stove top while the oven preheated.  I cooked mine at 350 for about 18 minutes.




I then used the leftover icing from our cinnamon roll pancakes to ice the rolls.




All in all they were very good.  I like that they are not as sweet as cinnamon rolls.  Little man and the hubby liked them too.  It was also really easy to make.  The most involved part was actually spreading the filling and making the rolls.  I would estimate that there was probably 20 minutes of actual work time between filling the bread machine, making the filling, making the actual roll and cutting out individual rolls.  The bread machine really did all of the work.  We will definitely be having this again.  It also makes me curious as to what other types of rolls I could make.  I think that I may have to experiment with an apple roll using applesauce......hmmm

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you like them. We are big fans of pumpkin around here.

    ReplyDelete