Monday, May 30, 2011

Farmer's Market

We made our first trip to the farmer's market downtown Saturday morning.  Its small, very small compared to the one in Raleigh.  I think I counted less than 10 vendors there.  However, we got there early and it wasn't crowded yet.  We ended up getting a pound of green beans, a pint of strawberries and a huge bunch of broccoli for $6.  Immediately following this trip we were in Harris Teeter and would have had to pay about $10 for the same amount of produce.  I definitely want to go back.  I'm not sure if it was less crowded and there weren't as many vendors since it's a holiday weekend but either way I'm happy with our purchases.  There were more strawberries but little man and I ate a few....



Between the spinach I picked Saturday morning from our garden and the strawberries we got at the farmer's market plus some grilled chicken breast this was my dinner Saturday.  Yum!



There is a produce stand not too far from our house that is open in the summer and into the fall that I have gone to with my parents a few times.  I'm hoping that between the two of those and our garden we can have lots of really fresh and tasty produce this season.

I didn't get a picture but I steamed some of the farmers market green beans for dinner Sunday and they were DELICIOUS.  Sunday's dinner was as good as Saturdays.  Grilled pork chop, the above mentioned green beans and mashed red potato's which were from my parents neighbors garden.  I love having so much fresh produce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment