Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cheesy Crescent Dogs

I actually made what was on the menu for dinner tonight!  I know it's so sad to get excited.  I am usually so good at sticking to it.  Tonight was cheesy crescent dogs.  So simple and yummy.  Little man was on board and even helped me roll some of them up.  I made the crescent recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook which is supposed to yield about 32 crescent rolls.  Obviously I didn't need 32 cheesy crescent dogs for the three of us.  I decided to take advantage of the "extra dough".  I made 8 cheesy crescent dogs, 11 plain crescents and 8 cinnamon sugar crescents. 

The Cheesy crescent dogs are simply a crescent triangle with half a slice of cheese and 1/4 of a hot dog rolled up in it.  I cut my hot dogs in half and then each half is split length wise.  They are usually the perfect width for the widest part of the crescent dough.  I let them rise while the oven heated and then baked them for about 15 minutes until the dough was golden and the cheese was melted.  I decided to make steamed broccoli since I still had broccoli from the farmers market last week to use up.  Here's dinner!


For the cinnamon sugar crescents I mixed about 3 tablespoons of softened butter with a cinnamon sugar mixture and spread it on the inside of the crescents before rolling.  (Make sure not to put too much or it will leak out of the sides when you roll up the crescents.)  After the crescents were rolled I brushed them with a little melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  They got little man's approval. They aren't too sweet but have just enough to make them a good snack, dessert or breakfast.  Here are all of the other crescents that I got out of the recipe.

The bag closest to the camera was the cinnamon sugar crescents.  They are going to be breakfast and snacks for tomorrow.  The two bags of plain crescents went into the freezer to be added to other meals.  I am hoping to get a few things made and frozen to make life a little easier for the weeks that things get hectic.  I haven't made our normal sandwich bread in well over a month and little man heard me using the electric knife and ran into the kitchen yelling, "Mommy, I want a piece of bread!"  I hated to disappoint him so I need to get back on the ball.

On a completely random note, here is our first zucchini.  I have 2 small zucchini's and a small/medium one out there now that I can pick possibly tomorrow.  Yay!




No comments:

Post a Comment