Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Happened Wednesday 4

This is the continuation of the story about how I got where I am. It started here.

The main doctor that we saw that day informed us that based on my symptoms and oxygen levels I either had pneumonia or a pulmonary embolism. They drew blood to check for the embolism and sent me for a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. The chest x-ray came back clear. At that point the doctor was still waiting on my lab results but sent me for a chest CT to check for an embolism. While I was having the CT my labs came back and the doctor informed my husband that the problem was definitely a pulmonary embolism but that I didn't have just one, my labs were so high that she knew I had multiple pulmonary emboli. The CT came back and I had 6 pulmonary emboli, or blood clots in my lungs. There were 3 in each lung and one in each section of the lung. At this point the doctor admitted that the hospital was not equip to treat me and that they would have to transfer me to another hospital.

After being told that they could not treat me we were given the choice of two hospitals that could. We made our choice and the hubby was informed that I would be airlifted and he would not be able to ride with me but had to drive the 2 hours there. ( Can we say torture) The doctor explained that with oxygen my stats are stable but they could not risk any traffic delays presented by transporting me in an ambulance.  The possibility of me not having oxygen  was not an option.  If I didn't have oxygen then my stats would quickly drop which was why they were sending me by helicopter. During this time the hubby had been trying to get in touch with my parents and sister to let them know what was going on. I was then air lifted from Boone, NC to Charlotte, NC. The flight was maybe 30 minutes. The nurse in the helicopter with me was trying to distract me and show me the pretty scenery. I was too weak and disoriented to care.

I remember feeling like I was in an episode of the TV show ER when we landed. There were doctors and nurses on the roof waiting for me.  I remember thinking man this must be a slow day for them if they are all up here just for me.  I guess the seriousness of the situation still had not sunken in.   As soon as we landed they came running over and started trying to switch met to the gurney. I remember the nurse that was in the helicopter with me yelling at one of their nurses because she unhooked my oxygen. The nurse from the hospital was honestly just trying to make it easier to move me to the gurney but the nurse that rode in the helicopter with me yelled at her to hook it back up. It was more like: "What are you doing?! You can't unhook her oxygen, her stats drop too fast!" I don't think it was until they told me that they were taking me to ICU that it really hit me how serious the situation was.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Court.....yeah. That's the reaction I get a lot. It is amusing to see doctors faces when I give my medical history though.

    ReplyDelete