Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What Happened Wednesday 8

This is the continuation of the story about how I got where I am. It started here.

The hubby went to be with little man.  I was taken to recovery.  Apparently, I was given an antibiotic in the same family as one I'm allergic to and was then immediately given Benadryl.  I had not slept, eaten or drank anything in well over 24 hours.  The nurses would not let me.  I was so thirsty.  I still couldn't have anything in recovery.  I began shaking and couldn't stop.  I remember being so cold.  There was something going on with my blood pressure too.  They kept telling me that I had to calm down and get my blood pressure right or they couldn't take me to my room.  I was just so hungry and thirsty and tired.  One of my nurses bribed me with a Popsicle and I don't know what I did but it seemed to do the trick. 

That Popsicle tasted so good and I was thrilled to finally be moved to my room.  I still had not had the chance to hold my little baby.  It was about 6 am when I got to my room.  My nurse was wonderful.  She knew most of what had gone on and when she asked if I needed anything I told her that I was so thirsty.  She was shocked that they let me go so long with no fluids.  When she checked my catheter bag she was like oh sweetie your dehydrated.  She came back with an armful of juices and sodas and filled my water pitcher.  I had to get a glass of water down first and then I could have juice.  That water and juice were amazing.  There's just no other way to describe it.  I was just beyond thirsty so it tasted better than anything I had ever drank. 

I'm ashamed to admit it but I was so exhausted and dehydrated and had been given Benadryl that when I got to hold little man for the first time I dozed off.  I jerked awake and as much as I loved him I knew I needed to put him down and sleep.  I could have snuggled him all day.  He was so tiny and sweet weighing in at 6 lbs 11 oz.  He's now a healthy and happy 4 year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment