Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What Happened Wednesday 9

This is the continuation of the story about how I got where I am. It started here.

Here it is four years and a case of Lyme Disease later and I'm pregnant with our precious peanut.  Oh yeah not only did I have blood clots but I've had Lyme's Disease too.  I know, I get weird looks from doctors when giving my medical history. 

This time around I am also on blood thinner injections. I will never have those great pregnancy pictures of the belly because mine is always covered in bruises from my shots. But it's worth it because it means I have a healthy baby. To this day, a good 6 years later I have been retested for blood clotting disorders and immune disorders multiple times and it's always negative. It's become somewhat amusing to see a doctors reaction when I give my medical history. When I was pregnant with little man and was tested for the blood clotting disorders one did come back elevated but after being retested while not pregnant it was within normal range again. Maybe one day there will be a discovery and an explanation.  I've been told by doctors before that I do most likely have a blood clotting disorder but it's just one that has not been discovered yet. 

I'm thankful that things happened the way that they did. It sounds crazy to say that I'm thankful to have had 6 pulmonary emboli but if that wouldn't have happened then something much worse could have when we decided to have children. I always say that everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that the reason it happened then was so that I would be aware of my predisposition to clotting when I became pregnant.  I could always play the what if game.  What if I hadn't gone to the hospital that day, what if I never had clots and then got pregnant, what if I got pregnant and then got clots?  There are a lot of possibilities for what could have happened but I personally believe that it happened the best way possible.

Now you know the back story.  That is why I am a high risk pregnancy, that is why I will always be a high risk pregnancy.  It is also part of the reason that I will be having a c-section at 39 weeks unless other complications arise or I go into labor.  It's also the reason why this is it for us.  After all of this I just don't feel that it would be safe or wise for me to risk another pregnancy, especially as I get older.  I've been so lucky with little man's pregnancy and this one to have not developed blood clots or have had any serious complications.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very paranoid about it.  If I get an unexplained pain in one of my calves I watch it for days and make sure it goes away and no swelling develops.  I will probably always be extra cautious when it comes to blood clots. 

That's where we are now.  We are patiently awaiting this little peanut, which is another boy!!   

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another little boy! Can't wait to "meet" him Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! very exciting to be growing another boy! sorry you've had complications- that's hard I know- proud of the way you are handling it! :)

    ReplyDelete