Oh my poor hubby. I have given him a couple of scares in our 6 ½ years of marriage. The day I was sent to labor and delivery was the day the hubby was in a mandatory meeting. He couldn’t’ answer his phone and there was no way for me to call him there. I sent him a text that I had been feeling sick and went in to the doctor and they sent me to labor and delivery to be monitored for my blood pressure. He of course freaked out but I told him I was OK and if anything changed I would let him know. He stayed and I kept texting him with updates.
Labor and delivery had me hooked up to a constant blood pressure monitor and were doing non stress tests to monitor contractions and little man’s stats. I was there for several hours. The doctor on call from my OB’s office came in to talk to us later that evening. He told us that while I had been there my blood pressure was in a safe range but I had developed pregnancy induced hypertension. He explained that I would need to do a 24 hour urine collection to ensure that there was no protein in my urine meaning that it had progressed to preeclampsia. I was allowed to go home but was put on modified bed rest. I was not allowed to go out by myself, be on my feet for extended periods of time, do any cleaning or laundry, pretty much my only job was to lay around and let my little man grow for a few more weeks. The doctor also switched me from Lovenox to Heparin, another blood thinner that would leave my system quicker in case it became necessary to deliver early.
This started my twice weekly appointments with NST's (non stress tests). My blood pressure stayed elevated but in a safe range. When I went in for my 36 week appointment the doctor informed me that I would be induced at 38 weeks. He told us that because of my history and with my blood pressure creeping up the longer I was pregnant the riskier it would be. I was scheduled for another ultrasound to check on little man's size and development. I was then scheduled to go into labor and delivery on Tuesday June 19th 2007.
After arriving at labor and delivery and getting settled in I was given medication to ripen my cervix and the plan was to begin the medicine to induce labor the following morning. My body had other ideas. My water broke during the night and I began labor. The doctors went ahead and gave me the drugs to speed things up. Unfortunately, I never progressed past 4 cm. Over 24 hours after my water broke and no progress for hours the doctor came to us and told us that at this point they needed to preform a c-section because they were worried that if they continued to wait there would be harm to me or the baby. My response was to do whatever they had to do so that he was healthy.
Little man finally arrived via c-section on Thursday June 21, 2007 at 2:47 am.